How to Turn Off Windows 10 Update – Are you a Windows 10 user? If so, you must be annoyed by the auto-update feature in Windows 10 that runs automatically. But you don’t need to worry, because you can fix this by permanently turning off Windows 10 updates.
How to Turn Off Windows 10 Update 2023
In Windows 10, the update will run and install automatically when an update is available. Even though the update from Windows has additional features in terms of security, performance, and increased stability, this auto-update feature actually makes Windows users feel annoyed.
The Windows update feature in Windows 10 is very different from the previous versions of Windows. How to disable it is more complicated than Windows 8, 7, and XP.
Even though Windows 10 provides more features that make your activities easier, the auto-update feature on Windows 10 will disturb you.
How to turn off Windows 10 permanent updates
#1. With CMD
The first method so that Windows 10 doesn’t update automatically is by using the command prompt or better known as CMD. You can disable automatic updates from windows 10 via commands in CMD.
How to turn off permanent windows 10 updates with cmd:
- Run CMD using administrator access.
- Type the command takeown / f “% windir% \ System32 \ UsoClient.exe” / a
- Then press the enter key on the keyboard.
- Then enter the command icacls “% windir% \ System32 \ UsoClient.exe” / inheritance: r / remove “Administrators” “Authenticated Users” “Users” “System”
- Then press the enter key on the keyboard.
Now the Windows 10 auto-update feature will be permanently disabled so that if there is a new update from Windows, the computer will not update.
#2. Gpedit msc
On Enterprise, Education, and Professional versions of Windows 10, you can use the Local Group Policy Editor or gpedit.msc to be able to permanently disable automatic Windows updates.
How to turn off auto-updates in Windows 10 via gpedit.msc:
- Click Start and type gpedit.msc then enter.
- Access the Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Windows Update folder
- Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates option on the right.
- Select the Disabled option to turn off the auto-update feature.
- Click the Apply button.
- Finally, click the OK button.
After you have done the steps above, Windows 10 will stop updating automatically. However, you can reactivate it through the same changes as the guide above.
#3. Connection Limits
You can turn off auto-updates in Windows 10 permanently by providing wifi network restrictions. Because the size of the update from Windows is generally quite large, this method is very effective for disabling automatic updates from Windows 10.
How to permanently turn off Windows 10 updates:
- Make sure the laptop is connected to a Wifi network.
- Open the Settings menu or Windows 10 Settings.
- Then enter the Network & Internet menu.
- Select the name of the wifi network connection to your laptop.
- Click on the Metered Connection option.
- Finally, turn Set as Metered Connection to ON.
This method is very effective if you are a wifi network user on a computer or laptop. By enabling connection restrictions, every time a Windows 10 update is available, your laptop or computer will not update automatically.
#4. Via Regedit
The last method to stop automatic updates from Windows 10 is to make a few changes to the registry or better known as regedit.
Here’s how to turn off Windows 10 updates via regedit:
- Click the Start menu, type regedit, and then enter.
- Access the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows regedit menu.
- Right-click the Windows folder and select New> Key.
- Enter the key name WindowsUpdate then press Enter.
- Then right-click the key, and select New> Key.
- Name the key with AU then press Enter.
- Enter the AU key, right-click in the right window select New> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Give the name NoAutoUpdate then press Enter.
- Double-click NoAutoUpdate and change the value from 0 to 1.
- Click OK then Restart your laptop or PC.
After you have followed the steps above, automatic updates in Windows 10 have been successfully disabled. To turn it back on, just follow the same guidelines and change the value to 0.
So, here are 4 ways to permanently turn off Windows 10 updates which can be a solution to disable automatic updates. Just use one of the methods above which you think is the easiest and most effective.