How to Fix Windows 10 Search Not Working PC – The search field ( search ) Windows 10 does not work, is a condition that is likely to occur. As a result, we will find it difficult when we want to find applications.
How to Fix Windows 10 Search Not Working PC 2023
If it’s for myself, this makes me bothered. The reason is that in addition to applications, I also usually search for certain data through this search menu.
Well, I want to discuss this a little. Regarding the causes and ways to overcome it so that it is normal again.
- Complete Guide How to Install Windows 11 on the Latest Laptops and Computers/PCs
- How to Know My PC is Compatible With Windows 11
- 7 Ways to Take Screenshots on Windows Laptop and PC 2021
For computers and laptops, yes. Asus, Lenovo, Acer, Toshiba, and others.
I have experienced this condition myself.
The Windows 10 search feature on my PC was having problems. It’s not inactive, really. But if it is used to search for something, what happens is only loading continues.
In addition, sometimes it even looks white. Whereas normally, if the search feature on the Start menu is opened, Cortana will appear.
From my test results, this is the cause:
- Cortana Error
One of the features of Windows 10 is that functions as an assistant. If there is an error, it can cause the search feature to be an error as well.
- Error from Update
For example, we update the system. Eh, it turns out there was an error. This can have an effect too.
- Lots of Cache Files
If you rarely clean hard disk data, then this condition will definitely often be encountered.
- System Error
Lastly, maybe an error in the system. This is triggered by many more factors.
- FYI, before I knew the cause, at first I thought that this was a problem from an abnormal system drive on my PC. You see, it just so happened that I haven’t re-installed it for a long time.
How to Fix Windows 10 Search Not Working
How to solve it is not difficult, really.
You can try to overcome it, with some tips that I will share below.
With these tips, the error that I experienced before can be overcome and is effective until now. Here is the discussion:
#1. End Process Cortana
If you don’t know, Cortana is a program designed by Microsoft, to serve as an assistant for Windows 10 users.
For example, to set schedules, set alarms, navigation needs ( map ), open email, for calculators, convert currencies, to check weather info.
Cortana is also connected to the search feature. Therefore, if Cortana gets an error, then the effect can cause the search function to be problematic, and we need to stop it.
- Open Task Manager, by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del.
- Then, click the Process tab.
- Search for Cortana.
- Right-click Cortana, then click End Task.
- Wait a few moments, then you will see the search field is disabled.
- After the search field is active again, you can immediately try it.
- This method can be considered simple, but very effective. The problem of the search feature in the taskbar column that cannot be used can also be lost.
- Then, if for example, you restart your laptop/computer, then this error appears again, just repeat the steps above.
#2. Through Program Services
This Services program has a lot of settings, which allow us to adjust the settings in Windows.
Well, one of the causes of Windows 10’s search feature not working is due to a system bug. This can be solved by setting one of the settings in the Services program.
- Press Windows key + R.
- Type Services.MSC > Then click Enter.
- Once the Services program is open, scroll down and look for Windows Search settings.
- Change the Automatic (Delayed Start) setting to Automatic.
- Click the Stop button, then click the Start button.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
- Then, try restarting and testing the search feature again.
In essence, the setting was intended so that the search feature can run immediately, without requiring any manual commands. This can minimize bugs.
#3. Fix System Error with CMD
If there is a system error, we can try to take light steps first.
One of them, by fixing it using the Command Prompt or commonly abbreviated as CMD.
The repair process itself is easy. The method:
- Press Windows key + R.
- Type CMD or Command Prompt
- Then click OK.
- If so, enter the command ” SFC /scan now “
- Click Enter.
Wait for a moment. Here CMD will do a scan, with the aim of finding errors in the system, then fixing them automatically.
#4. Reset Windows Explorer
Windows Explorer is the core system of the Windows 10 interface.
If it is lost, then we will not find important menus, ranging from icons to the taskbar.
Windows Explorer is still associated with the search feature. Therefore, perhaps with Me- reset it can help.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to open Task Manager.
- Next, on the Process tab > Search Explorer
- Right-click > Then End Task.
- Then click File > Run New Task > Then look for Explorer.exe.
- Now, Windows Explorer has been successfully reset.
Just test again.
- By the way, this Explorer.exe is located in the C: Windows folder, right? I’m sure you’ll find it.
#5. Reinstall Windows
As you know, passing reinstall, then all data will be reset, so the error – an error that existed previously will be lost.
- Is it effective? Yes, very effective. The search feature problem that we are discussing can be solved in this way.
- Even I myself have implemented it myself.
That’s the discussion. Hopefully, the problem can be solved, yes. If possible, without the need to reinstall, hehe.
What if it doesn’t work? If it doesn’t work, even after reinstalling, maybe the hard drive or SSD that is being used is damaged.